Students are required to have health insurance. Students may remain on their parents’ insurance or buy their own insurance. Students provide the university proof of insurance with an on-line waiver. Students without insurance may purchase the Student Blue Student Health Insurance.
Insurance Dept. Contact Info:
- Phone: 704-687-7435
- Email: email@example.com
Student Blue Premium Amount:
- Fall: $1,308.40
- Spring: $1,308.40
- Fall: September 10, 2021
- Spring: January 1, 2022
Insurance Coverage Dates:
- Fall: August 1st- December 31st
- Spring: January 1st - July 31st
- Students are required to have health insurance. Students may remain on their parents’ insurance or buy their own insurance. Students must provide proof of insurance buy submitting an on-line waiver. Students without insurance may purchase and enroll in the Student Blue Student Health Insurance.
- Fall 2021 Student Blue health insurance premium is $1,308.40. If you have insurance, you must have an approved waiver or you will be responsible for the Student Blue insurance premium for the semester.
- For the most up-to-date status of your waiver request, refer to recent emails from Student Blue and Student Health Insurance Dept.
- Please read all emails. Emails will be sent to the student’s uncc.edu email address. Student Blue has the option for you to have a secondary email address, such as a parent’s address.
The following UNC Charlotte students are required to have health insurance and are automatically charged the current semesterly premium amount for the Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP) when they register for the semester. You must provide proof of insurance on-line at the Student Blue link above in order to waive the premium:
- Undergraduate Students: enrolled in six or more degree-seeking credit hours.
- Graduate Students: enrolled in three or more credit hours in a degree-seeking or certificate program.
- International Students: All students with F-1,F-2 or J-1, J-2 visas.
- The Insurance Requirement does not apply to students enrolled in a Distance Education program. Distance Education students are ineligible to be enrolled in the Student Blue Plan.
- Many online courses are not designated as Distance Education.
- Medicaid Family Planning is not credible health insurance and will not be approved to obtain a waiver.
- If your UNC Charlotte- Student Account has been charged the current semesterly premium for the Student Blue plan, you are required to have health insurance.
- Only students who are eligible for the mandatory hard waiver UNC System Student Health Insurance Plan are eligible for coverage.
- All charges for the Student Blue insurance premium will appear on your UNC Charlotte Student Account. Please review it to see charges and credits. When your waiver has been approved, a credit (looks like a payment) of the premium amount will appear on your Student Account.
- Student Blue insurance will NOT provide coverage for dependents, (spouses, domestic partners and children). It also does not cover students on a voluntary basis.
- To waive using TRICARE or Veteran Affairs insurance, enter the sponsor or Military Member’s social security number or DOD number
- If you are purchasing Student Blue insurance, you must go online to activate the insurance by enrolling.
- Insurance premiums cannot be prorated.
Student Health Insurance Resources
Health Insurance FAQ
Parents can view insurance premium charges and waivers (credits) to your student’s account by logging onto the Guest Access Portal (GAP), an online system that allows students to provide access to certain information including student accounts.
To gain access, the student must log into their Banner Self Service Account and add you as a Proxy. Once you are added, confirm your email address and create a password. You must be granted access to the “Account Summary” option to view if the student has waived or is enrolled in the university health insurance. Click on this tab and look for “Student Health Premium”. The waiver will look like a payment on the student account.
All International students are required to have health insurance while attending UNC Charlotte. Students may enroll into the Student Health Insurance Plan or they may enroll in another US or home country plan that meets the University's minimum health insurance requirements. In order to waive the Student Health Insurance Plan, students must complete the online waiver form with Blue Cross Blue Shield.
Your health plan must meet the following minimum requirements:
- Minimum total benefit/coverage of $100,000 (USD) per accident or illness
- Plan deductible of no more than $500 (USD)
- Minimum of $50,000 (USD) for medical evacuation
- Minimum of $25,000 (USD) for repatriation coverage
- Policy must be active for the entire duration of the academic semester
- Pregnancy and mental health benefits (must be comparable to the benefits offered in the Student Insurance plan)
**Important notice regarding non-US health insurance plans. After completing the online insurance waiver you will be required to send a copy of your policy declaration page for review. All information must be submitted in English and all of the benefits and exclusions of the plan must be clearly stated. If the policy does not meet the minimum requirements and/ or it is not completely in English, the waiver will automatically be declined and students must purchase the University sponsored plan.
The Student Health Center will file insurance claims ONLY for those students who have Student Blue, the Student Health Insurance Plan offered through Blue Cross Blue Shield of North Carolina (BCBSNC). Students who carry Student Blue will not be required to pay any fees up front for medical services, with the exception of prescription copays. Once the Student Health Center receives reimbursement from BCBSNC, student accounts may be billed for any charges that are not covered by Student Blue.
Students who carry any other type of insurance will be responsible for paying any charges at the time of service and will file for reimbursement through their own insurance company. The Student Health Center does not file any third party insurance.
The Student Health Center is not a Medicaid provider.
All students can use Student Health Center services. There is no cost to see our providers. However, there are charges for lab, x-ray, pharmacy, allergy shots, physical therapy and special procedures. Since we are not a Medicaid provider, students will be responsible for these charges.
Pharmacy: Medicaid will pay for prescriptions filled at the Pharmacy, if written by a Medicaid provider.
Co-op, Student Interns, and Student Teaching students are eligible to enroll in Student Blue but are not required to buy it so long as the student:
- Is enrolled in at least 6 credit hours for undergraduate or 3 credit hours for graduate students,
- Is degree-seeking participating in a campus-sponsored internship, a co-op semester, or student teaching that is required as part of the academic degree program.
HOW TO ENROLL: A student who meets the above criteria must enroll in Student Blue by completing this form.
- You will be enrolled in Student Blue health insurance within 3 business days. Your Student Account will be charged the semester premium within 3 business days.
Students must be enrolled at UNC Charlotte in order to use Student Health Center services. Students who withdraw from the University, whether they receive a refund of the Health Fee or not, are not eligible for medical services except for one follow-up visit at the discretion of the attending provider for an illness or injury treated immediately prior to the withdrawal. However, students who withdraw from the University may continue to use the Student Health Center pharmacy. For more information, call 704-687-7400 and select Appointments.
STUDENT HEALTH INSURANCE: Students who are enrolled in the Student Blue Student Health Insurance and withdraw from the university after the January 31st deadline and have NOT paid the health insurance premium before March 1, 2020, will be automatically withdrawn from the Student Blue Student Health Insurance plan. If a student received services at the Student Health Center, those charges will be forwarded to Student Accounts. If the student filed a claim for service(s) off campus, that facility will bill the student for the services received
Students who have withdrawn from the university but paid for the Student Blue Health Insurance may continue to use the student health insurance but they cannot be seen at the Student Health Center.
If a student withdraws from the university after add/drop and paid for the Student Blue Health Insurance, they will not be reimbursed for the policy. Students who withdraw in the Fall will be covered by Student Blue Student Health Insurance until December 31. Students who withdraw in the Spring will be covered until July 31.
For more information about UNC Charlotte’s withdrawal process, go to the Withdrawal Services website.
For more information about insurance, contact the Student Insurance Office in the Student Health Center.
Phone 704-687-7435. Email firstname.lastname@example.org