Health Insurance Requirement – Spring 2017
Students are required to have health insurance. Students may remain on their parents insurance or buy their own insurance. Students provide the university proof of insurance with an on-line waiver. Students without insurance may purchase the Student Blue Student Health Insurance.
The web portal is open until January 31, 2017 to waive or enroll in the Student Blue insurance for Spring 2017. Click the Student Blue link below.
If you have insurance, you must have an approved waiver so that you will not be responsible for the Student Blue insurance premium of $1,111.00.
Please read the emails from Student Blue and Student Health Insurance Dept. for the most up-to-date status of your waiver request. Emails will be sent to the student’s.uncc email address. Student Blue has the option for you to add one other email address.
The UNC System has selected Student Blue as the Student Health Insurance carrier for the 2016-17 academic year. Student Blue is underwritten by Blue Cross Blue Shield of North Carolina.
Student Blue premium for 2016-17 premium is charged twice a year.
$1,111.00 for the Fall Semester (coverage for August 1-December 31, 2016)
$1,111.00 for the Spring Semester (coverage for January 1-July 31, 2017)
Annual cost $2,222.00; equivalent to $185.16 per month.
The deductible, copay and other benefits are the same as the 2015-16 Student Blue insurance.
- The Spring 2017 waiver period will end January 31, 2017. All waivers must be submitted on-line at the Student Blue site (link below)
- To be eligible for a waiver, your insurance must have an effective date no later than Febuary 1, 2017 .
- Students who have an existing Blue Cross Blue Shield plan for family or individual coverage must complete the waiver process as well. Students who are covered under a different health insurance plan are welcome to consider Student Blue.
- If you have out-of-state health insurance, please check with your insurance plan to confirm the type of medical coverage it has in the Charlotte region. The waiver verification process does not check this.
The following UNC Charlotte students are required to have health insurance and are automatically charged for the UNC System Student Health Insurance Plan when they register for the semester. You must provide proof of insurance on-line at the Student Blue link above in order to waive the premium:
Undergraduate Students: enrolled in six or more degree-seeking credit hours.
Graduate Students: enrolled in three or more credit hours in a degree-seeking or certificate program.
International Students: all F-1 and J-1 visas - regardless of credit hours
- The Insurance Requirement does not apply to students enrolled in a Distance Education program.
- Many online courses are not designated as Distance Education.
- If you have been charged for the Student Blue plan on your UNC Charlotte Student Account, you are required to have insurance.
- Only students who are eligible for the mandatory hard waiver UNC System Student Health Insurance Plan are eligible for coverage.
- All charges for Student Blue insurance appear on your UNC Charlotte Student Account. Please review it to see charges and credits.
- Student Blue insurance will NOT provide coverage for dependents, (spouses, domestic partners and children). It also does not cover students on a voluntary basis.
If you any questions about the insurance or why you were charged for insurance, please call or email us. Also, feel free to come to the Insurance Office on the Student Health Center lower level.