Immunization FAQs

North Carolina law requires individuals attending a college or university, whether public, private or religious, to receive certain immunizations.  The registrar of the college or university is responsible for assuring the required immunizations have been received by all new (undergraduate and graduate) students enrolling in college each semester.  The statute applies to all students except students residing off-campus and registering for any combination of:

  • Off-campus courses
  • Evening courses (classes beginning after 5 p.m.)
  • Weekend courses
  • No more than four day credit hours in on-campus courses

Immunization records are NOT automatically transferred from your high school or previous college or university.


How do I submit my immunization records?

Records may be submitted by:

  • Email: (PREFERRED)
  • Mail: UNC Charlotte Student Health Center
    Immunizations Department
    9201 University City Blvd.
    Charlotte, NC 28223-0001
  • Or by hand delivering your records to the Student Health Center on campus

Please remember to place your name, date of birth, and student ID number on each page of your records. Be sure to keep a copy of all records you submit.

What forms do I need to complete for Immunizations?

  • Immunization Record Form. Must have clinic stamp or signature and address of medical provider (REQUIRED).
  • We will also accept immunization records from a state immunization registry, your private doctor, previous school, military, or your vaccine card (must be signed or stamped by clinic or doctor). Please contact us if you are unsure about an acceptable vaccine record.
  • Medical history form (RECOMMENDED). To fill out the medical history form, please log in to Online Student Health.

What vaccines are required?

Most incoming students (freshman, transfers, undergraduate and graduate) are required to submit immunizations records. Some exceptions and exemptions may apply.  For detailed information about required vaccines, see our immunizations form.

For additional information about North Carolina state requirements, visit the NC Health and Human Services Immunizations Branch page.

Is a Tuberculosis (TB) test required?

Only if one of the following applies to you:

  • You are an international student from a high risk country
  • You have traveled to a high risk country for more than one month within the last 5 years

A TB skin test (PPD or TST) OR TB blood test (QuantiFERON-Gold or T-Spot) within the past 12 months is required if one of the above applies to you.

A list of high risk countries, as compiled by the World Health Organization, can be found at

When are immunizations due?

Immunization records are due when you are admitted to the university (should be submitted for review by the first day of class according to the state law).

Those with incomplete records can come into compliance by provided further documentation or receiving missing immunizations within 30 days of the first day (calendar) of classes.

Failure to comply with the law does result in being dropped from class and losing on campus housing if applicable. It often takes time to obtain records from other facilities and to complete requirements.


Is a health physical form required?

We encourage you to fill out the health history form but, UNC Charlotte does NOT require a physical exam for admission. This may be a good opportunity to consult with your healthcare provider regarding any health concerns and recommended vaccines you may need.

Where can I find my immunizations records?

Records are most often available at one of the following locations:

  • Personal Records of Shots given (must have valid clinic stamp or health care provider signature)
  • Military Records  or World Health Organization Records (WHO)
  • Previous College or University
  • County Public Health Department
  • Your Private Physician’s Office
  • For tips in finding immunization records from other states, please visit the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Vaccines and Immunizations page.

Records from the list above may contain some, but not all of your immunization information. Please cross-reference the records with our requirements.

What are acceptable records?

Acceptable records contain:

  • Name of student
  • Date of Birth (DOB)
  • name and date of vaccines received(MM-DD-YYYY)
  • Doctor’s stamp with address, Clinic stamp with address, Signature with address of Provider, Health Department stamp

Can I get vaccines at UNC Charlotte?

Yes, please call for an appointment. Note: During our peak times (beginning of a semester) the immunization department may only be available on a walk-in basis. Please contact us for more details.

Students are responsible for all fees/charges. The Student Health Center DOES NOT file private/outside insurance for immunizations.

Can I be exempt from the vaccination requirements?

For more information about permissible exemptions in the State of North Carolina, please visit the NC Health and Human Services Exemptions page.

What if no immunizations records can be found?

If you cannot find records of your immunizations, you must start the series of vaccines that are required by NC law.  For more information on required vaccines, please see our Immunizations Form.

If I have attended UNC Charlotte in the past, how can I get a copy of my records?

Our medical records department will be glad to help you with that request.

Students who wish to have their immunizations records released to another college or university directly may call 704-687-7192 and request the release.  A signed release is not necessary for this purpose.  There is no cost for obtaining your immunization record.

Students who wish to request a copy of their medical records, or wish to have immunizations records released to anyone other than another college or university, must sign a request (Authorization for Release of Medical Information) stating the reason for the request and what person/agency is to receive the information. For further information, please call 704‑687‑7192.

Will my immunization records be transferred from my previous college or high school?

Immunization records are NOT automatically transferred from your high school or previous college or university. Transcripts sent during the admission process are used for the purposes of admission only. Please have your previous university send a copy of your immunizations directly to you and submit them to the immunization department. High school transcripts are not accepted unless verified by your doctor/clinic.

Will my military record be enough?

Thank you for your service.

Even though you may have received numerous vaccinations while in service, these records often do not include documentation of childhood immunizations. We would be happy to review any military records you have for compliance with the NC Immunization Law. Once reviewed, we can advise you of any missing immunizations. If you have traveled out of the United States (to a high risk area) in the past five years, you are required to have had a TB skin test within the past 12 months.

*Please combine childhood vaccine records and military records for review.